24 Feb DIGITAL NOMAD VISA IN CYPRUS
Τhe Council of Ministers with its Decision of October 15, 2021, approved the introduction of the Digital Nomad Visa Scheme in Cyprus, with a ceiling of 100 residence permits to be issued.
What is the “Digital nomad visa” ?
The ” Digital Nomad Visa” Scheme allows nationals from non-EU and non-EEA countries, who can perform their work location-independently using telecommunications technology, to reside temporarily in Cyprus and work for an employer registered abroad or perform work through telecommunications technology for companies or clients located abroad.
Who are eligible to apply?
Non-EU or non-EEA nationals who:
- Can perform work remotely through telecommunications technology;
- Are employed in a company registered abroad, for which they can work location-independently, or are self-employed offering services remotely for clients located abroad;
- Can prove that they have stable and sufficient monthly net income of at least €3500 (after the deduction of contributions and taxes).
What are the benefits?
Applicants that are granted with a Digital Nomad residence permit will benefit from the following:
- Right of residence for a year in Cyprus, with a possibility of renewal for further two years.
- Right of residence for family members, for the same period as the Digital Nomad, without the right to be employed of perform economic activity in Cyprus.
- If they reside in the Republic for one of more periods that in total exceed 183 days within the same tax year, then they are considered tax residents of Cyprus, provided they are not tax residents in any other country.
Digital Nomad’s Family members
- Digital Nomad’s family members can reside in Cyprus for the same period as the Digital Nomad applicant, without the right to be employed or perform any economic activity in Cyprus.
- Family members include the spouse/ partner in a civil union and children under the age of 18.
- Family members also need to obtain a temporary residence permit following the procedure below.
Procedure and first registration
- Within 90 days of arrival to Cyprus, the applicant must submit the relevant application along with the required documents at the CRMD in Nicosia to obtain a temporary residence permit. All documents accompanying application forms should be officially translated and duly certified/ ratified.
- In case the applicant legally resides in Cyprus under a different status, he/she has the right to submit the relevant application to be granted a temporary residence permit as a Digital Nomad, at the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia.
- For the issuance of the temporary residence permit capturing of biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and signature of the third country national is necessary, which is done with the presentation of the application submission receipt and a valid travel document. The biometric data can be captured at the same time or after the application submission, at the offices of the Department in Nicosia or at the district unit of the Aliens and Immigration Service of the Police of the district of residence of the third country national.
- The time of examination is between 5 – 7 weeks.
Duration of temporary residence permit
A first temporary residence permit is issued with a validity of one year.
- In case of renewal, the temporary residence permit is issued with a validity of maximum two years.
Application form and accompanying documents
- The application form (MVIS4)
- Copy of valid passport or other travel document with validity of at least three (3) months from the date of the submission of the application.
- Copy of passport or other travel document page that shows the last entry in the Republic.
For employees working for a company registered abroad:
- Employment contract of indefinite duration or of at least equal duration to the requested residence permit,
- Employer’s confirmation that the applicant can perform his/her duties remotely and that the project / work does not concern activity or provision of services to an employer registered in Cyprus,
- Duly stamped copy of the company’s registration certificate abroad, stating the legal name, registered base, activity field and corporate purpose of the company
- Information on the status of the applicant in the company.
- Contract(s) of project or of services with a duration of at least equal to the requested residence permit.
- Confirmation by the applicant that (s)he can perform his duties remotely and that the project does not concern activity or provision of services to a client established in Cyprus.
- Evidence that the applicant has sufficient and stable monthly living resources amounting to at least €3500, after the deduction of contributions and taxes, from:
- proof of salary payment showing the net income *, and
- bank account (detailed bank statements of the last 6 months that prove the existence of a stable and satisfactory income outside the Republic).
Note: The above amount is increased by 20% for the spouse or partner and by 15% for each child.
* In cases where there is no proof of net income, an Affirmation is required according to which the applicant will certify that his/her net income, after the deduction of contributions and taxes on the income presented in the submitted documents, is not less than the minimum amount required on the basis of the defined income criteria.
- Original Certificate of Criminal Record from the country of origin (if the applicant resides in a country other than the country of origin, the certificate should be issued from the country of residence).
- Original blood analysis results showing that the applicant does not bear/suffer from HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and C and chest x-rays for tuberculosis (TB), duly certified by a specialized Doctor.
- Certificate of Health Insurance for medical care that covers inpatient and outpatient care and transportation of corpse (Plan A).
- Title deed or rental agreement of a house/apartment, duly stamped if valued over €5000.
- Affirmation to which the applicant will commit that (s)he or his/her family members will not provide work or services or project in any way to an employer or clients established in Cyprus.
For more information and on how you can benefit from the digital nomad visa in Cyprus, contact us at email@example.com or at +25255059